Council approves agreement for Cascade Road improvements
The Atlanta City Council approved legislation Monday authorizing an agreement for Cascade Road streetscape improvements and signal installation on behalf of the Department of Transportation for a term of two years with a one year renewal option in amount not to exceed approximately $20.9 million (Legislative Reference №21-R-3703). The project includes resurfacing, restriping, traffic communications corridor signal upgrades, bus stop enhancements, streetscapes, extended bike lanes and pedestrian safety improvements.
The Council also adopted legislation urging the Georgia General Assembly to amend state law to add all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) to the list of vehicles requiring registration and licensing (Legislative Reference №21-R-3666). The legislation notes that ATVs have presented a public safety risk within Atlanta and that requiring a driver’s license to operate the off-road vehicles would assist in ownership accountability and policing.
Other items approved Monday include:
• A resolution requesting the Department of Public Works allow residents to place yard trimmings in plastic bags temporarily until regular and consistent yard trimming collection services are restored. This item was immediately adopted.
• An ordinance authorizing a donation in an amount not to exceed $25,000 from the District 12 carry forward account to the Atlanta Police Foundation to purchase security cameras for use in the district (Legislative Reference №21-O-0460).
• An ordinance authorizing a donation in an amount not to exceed $6,500 from the District 12 carry forward account to the Atlanta Police Foundation to purchase security cameras for the Pittman Park Project (Legislative Reference №21-O-0461).
• An ordinance authorizing a donation in an amount not to exceed $20,000 to the Atlanta Legal Aid Society and the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation in support of anti-eviction efforts from the Post 2 At-Large carry forward account (Legislative Reference №21-O-0468).
• An ordinance amending the City of Atlanta Code of Ordinances to administer and maintain uniform parking regulations, add a new illegal parking penalties section, and update certain provisions to deter illegal parking and maintain adequate parking for residents (Legislative Reference №21-O-0473).
Items were introduced to be considered in committee next week including:
• An ordinance to adopt the Upper Westside Improvement District Masterplan and to amend the City of Atlanta 2016 Comprehensive Development Plan (CDP) to incorporate the plan into the CDP.
• An ordinance authorizing a donation, in an amount not to exceed $1,000 from the Council District 8 carry forward account to the Chastain Park conservancy to assist with security patrols.
• A resolution to designate the intersection of Peachtree Street SW, Edgewood Avenue SE, and Decatur Street SE as Honorary Lonnie C. King Jr. Square.
• A resolution to ratify the mayor’s executive order authorizing the City to provide a one-time signing bonus in an amount of up to $500 for employees successfully recruited to the Department of Public Works positions of Environmental Services Worker (ESW) and Solid Waste Operator (CDL Driver) whose dates of hire are between July 30- Sept. 30, 2021.